Important Audition Information and More.
Auditions are Open for All Programs
2023/24 Audition Cities
Sunday, January 21 (Toronto, ON)
Wednesday, January 31 (Prince Albert, SK)
Friday, February 2 (Camrose, AB)
Wednesday, February 7 (Vernon, BC)
Monday, February 12 (Vancouver, BC)
Monday, February 12 (Chilliwack, BC)
Thursday, February 15 (Duncan, BC)
Saturday, February 17 (Nanaimo, BC)
Tuesday, February 20 (Cranbrook, BC)
Sunday, February 25 (Zoom)
Monday, February 26 (Nelson, BC)
Saturday, March 2 (Calgary, AB)
Sunday, March 3 (Edmonton, AB)
Friday, March 8 (Swift Current, SK)
Sunday, March 10 (Toronto, ON)
Monday, March 11 (Regina, SK)
Wednesday, March 13 (Saskatoon, SK)
Sunday, April 14 (Toronto, ON)
Thursday, April 18 (Montreal, QC)
Friday, April 19 (Saint John, QC)
Friday, April 22 (Halifax, NS)
Sunday, April 28 (Charlottetown, PEI)
Monday, April 29 (St. John's NL)
Sunday, May 26 (Toronto, ON)
Sunday, July 4 (Toronto, ON)
What Can I Audition For?
George Brown Dance - for post secondary students looking to gain a college diploma or certificate, graduating for a career in dance.
- Dance Performance Preparation (P101) - High-standard technical training and performance training
- Dance Performance (P105) - Classical ballet or contemporary stream
- Commercial Dance (P106) - Jazz, Hip Hop and ballet combined with in-depth acting, vocals and chorus repertoire
Summer Dance Academy Intensive IV - for dancers aged 16+ looking to train for a career in dance.
The NUTCRACKER Youth Touring Participant Program - performance opportunity for aspiring dancers aged 12-17 yrs looking to tour with the Company.
The NUTCRACKER Youth Local Participant Program - local performance opportunity for aspiring dancers aged 8-17yrs.
Important Audition Information
- Auditions are dance classes and/or our choreography is taught to participants - registrants do not need to prepare their own audition material.
- Auditions for George Brown Dance require a fee payment and an essay; there is no fee or essay requirement for any other auditions.
- Auditions for George Brown Dance, Junior Company, and Summer Intensive IV all require that you bring a resume, head shot and dance photo to the audition. A short interview may be conducted with participants after the audition.
- Once you register for an audition, you will not hear back from us right away. You will hear back from us to confirm your registration and attendance at the audition by at minimum two weeks prior to scheduled audition.
- For any questions regarding auditions please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Your dance resume- PDF only
- A headshot and dance photo
- An audition video link with specifications below
*The length of the video should be no more than 15 minutes. Exercises only need to be shown on one side and some exercises can be combined to save time.
- Please provide a video link that does not exceed 15 minutes in length that includes the components listed below – please note videos will not be reviewed unless they have all required components.
Introduction: State your name, where you are from, where you currently live, and why you want to dance for Ballet Jörgen.
Ballet Technique (Required): 3 short exercises at the barre of your choice and 3 short centre exercises consisting of adagio, pirouettes, and grand allegro. In the centre, women must show some exercises on pointe and men must show tours.
Classical Variation of your Choice (Required): Performance or studio footage (preferred).
Improvisation (Required): 1 continuous minute of improvisation without edits that shows floor work, range of motion, plus articulation in feet, hands, and face.
Pas de Deux Section (Optional but Recommended): Performed on stage or in the studio.
Introduction: State your name, where you are from, where you currently live, and why you want to be apart of the Junior Company.
Ballet Technique (Required): 3 short exercises at the barre of your choice and 3 short centre exercises consisting of adagio, pirouettes, and grand allegro. In the centre, women mut show some exercises on pointe and men must show tours.
Performance or Studio Footage (Preferred): of classical Variation of your choice.
Improvisation: 1 continuous minute of improvisation without edits that shows floor work, range of motion, plus articulation in feet, hands, and face.
Barre Work: Plies, Tendues, Dégagés, Fondue, Rond de Jambe, Adage.
Centre Work: Adage, Grand Battements.
*Female Applicants: Please include pointe work- simple rises rolling up and down through the feet and some relévés.
If you have any previously recorded footage that shows any of the following elements, please include some additional clips of them in your submission: Pirouettes, Petit & Grand Allegro and more pointe work.
- In addition to sending your resume and headshot, you will also need to write an essay on why you wish to join the program at George Brown (1 page maximum).
- There is also a $60 audition fee which is payable online. You only need to pay once per audition, not per program.
- Barre Work: Plies, Tendues, Dégagés, Fondue, Rond de Jambe, Adage.
- For P101 & P105 Applicants: Centre work – Adage, Grand Battements.
- A short jazz or contemporary combination (about 30 seconds)
- For P105 Applicants: please include pointe work – simple rises, rolling up and down, through the feet and some relévés.
- For P106 Applicants: please include the following jazz steps as individual exercises (Video Example Here):
-Center turning combination
-Center floor work combination
-Kicks across the floor
-Jumps across the floor
-Short jazz or contemporary combination
-Short Hip Hop combination
-Performance footage (3 minutes maximum) (optional)
Zoom Auditions will be run in a class format with an interview portion (if needed) in the following days. Please email email@example.com if you have any questions.
Please view the document below