Students auditioning for this program should have a minimum of five to seven years in classical ballet and have reached an intermediate level in classical ballet for the Contemporary stream and an advanced level in classical ballet for the Classical Ballet stream; pointe work is required, as well as training in Jazz and/or Modern Dance.
Further Study Can Be:
Program Standards and Learning Outcomes
The graduate has reliably demonstrated the ability to:
- Perform advanced classical ballet and modern dance technique in choreographed solo and ensemble productions.
- Perform jazz dance technique in choreographed solo and ensemble productions.
- Sing at an intermediate level using pulse, rhythm and metre in both solo presentations and chorus productions.
- Create artistically expressive dramatic characterizations in a dance context at an advanced level in both solo and ensemble performances.
- Present self professionally at auditions and in industry environments through resumes, biographical backgrounds, and photographs to advance artistic and career opportunities.
- Develop self-knowledge and reflective practice to make informed artistic, pedagogical, personal development and career choices within the performing arts industry.
- Apply pedagogical skills and concepts to educate students in the areas of ballet, modern and jazz dance training.
A look at your Program
- P105 Classical Term 1 - Sample of Weekly Schedule of Classes
- P105 Classical Term 2 - Sample of Weekly Schedule of Classes
- P105 Contemporary Term 1 - Sample of Weekly Schedule of Classes
- P105 Contemporary Term 2 - Sample of Weekly Schedule of Classes
- P105 Contemporary Term 3 - Sample of Weekly Schedule of Classes
- P105 Contemporary Term 4 - Sample of Weekly Schedule of Classes
- Summer Intensive IV - Sample 5 Week Schedule (Highly Recommended)
Further Study Can Be
- The Mentorship Program with Canada's Ballet Jörgen
- The Contemporary Mentorship Program with Human Body Expression
- The Junior Company with Canada's Ballet Jörgen
Applicants are selected on the basis of their academic achievement, including the
required courses, and any other selection criteria outlined below.
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma or equivalent**
- Grade 12 English (C or U)
- Audition – Auditions will be held in spring and fall. For more information on auditions, including dates and times please call 416-415-5000, ext. 2196 or visit georgebrown.ca/performingarts/danceauditions.
- A minimum of intermediate level training in Classical Ballet (5 –7 years); pointe work is required, as well as training in Jazz and/or Modern Dance.
** Mature student status (19 years of age or older and no ossd)
Please note that George Brown is committed to ensuring that applicants will succeed in their program of choice and meeting the minimum requirements does not guarantee admission to the program. Applicants may be required to have grades higher than the minimum requirements stated.
College or university credits may qualify you for course exemptions. Please visit georgebrown.ca/transferguide for more information.
International (visa) students
Visit the International Admissions page for more information.